For us—it’s personal.
myStrength™ arose from a deep passion to help those suffering from mental health disorders. We’ve seen people close to us suffer with depression and anxiety, and experienced first-hand the disabling impact.
And we’ve witnessed our loved ones’ struggles to overcome the cost, inaccessibility, and stigma of care and treatment.
Knowing that there must be a way to overcome these obstacles, we set out to help those we love…and the more than 57.7 million others who suffer from mental health disorders. The vision for myStrength—The health club for your mind—was born as we realized that the Internet provides a perfect way to help those in need. Done right, an online resource that complements other forms of care—such as medication and working with a mental health professional—could give its users support that is affordable, accessible, and devoid of the negative image that mental healthcare sometimes carries.
To make our vision real, we leveraged our extensive Internet experience, tapped into our online learning expertise, and surrounded ourselves with brilliant partners and advisors. Together, we created the
myStrength mental health and wellness portal to give people the resources they need to help create real, lasting change—change that makes their lives, and the lives of the people around them, better.
Full of simple yet powerful programs, tools, and resources, the myStrength health club is a daily source
of learning, growth, and inspiration for people suffering with depression and anxiety. They can work out
on our equipment and strengthen their minds, one day at a time. And with new mobile applications, mental “workout groups,” and eLearning programs in self-esteem, anger management, addiction, and obsessive compulsive disorder being created, our story is just beginning.
The myStrength leadership team has deep expertise in Internet services, behavioral and managed healthcare, online learning, and consumer engagement.
- Scott R. Cousino, Chief Executive Officer
- Prior to founding myStrength, Scott was an Internet executive at Alta Colleges, a high-growth, for-profit, higher education services company offering associate and bachelor degree programs to more than 18,000 students. As Senior Vice President, Scott was responsible for the initial launch and rapid growth of the company’s fully accredited, Web-based learning platform. As President of Westwood College Online, Scott led an organization of over 600 employees and achieved a 40% increase in revenue, $112 million, and a four-fold increase in EBITDA margins. Before joining Alta Colleges, Scott was a Senior Vice President responsible for the emerging growth offshore division at Fidelity Investments and Vice President of International Trust Services at JP Morgan Chase, London. Scott has an MBA from the University of Colorado and a BBA with distinction from the University of Michigan.
- Neil Dickman, PhD, Chief Clinical Officer
- Neil has been a CEO, president and chief clinical officer with over thirty years of professional experience in diverse health care settings. Professional skills include strategic planning, clinical innovation, operational design, sales and marketing strategy. Most recently, Neil has been a health care consultant to a wide range of companies including: Versant Venture Capital Group, Kaiser, CVS, Psychology Today, Alere Medical, CRCHealth, APS Healthcare, Coventry Health and AmeriHealth Mercy. Previous positions include: Co-Founder and CEO of Pathmakers, a behavioral health practice management company; Group Vice President and Vice President of Strategic Clinical Initiatives at United Behavioral Health and Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Alere Medical, a disease state management company. Dr. Dickman received a B.A. in psychology and a Masters of Social Work at the University of Michigan. He received a PhD in Clinical Psychology from the Professional School of Psychology.
- Tony Karrer, PhD, Chief Technology Officer
- Tony has 18 years of experience leading software development teams for high-growth online consumer companies, including serving as the initial CTO for eHarmony. He has also been the Chief Technologist for three Web start-up companies. Tony held an Assistant Professor of Computer Science position at Loyola Marymount University for 11 years where he created an award-winning multimedia minor. He has a wide-ranging technical background and is considered one of the top technologists in training and performance support development. Tony was valedictorian at Loyola Marymount University, where he earned his BS in Computer Science, and attended the University of Southern California as a Tau Beta Pi fellow, one of the top 30 engineers in the nation, and received an MS and PhD in Computer Science.
- Ann McClanathan, Vice President of Business Development
- Ann has more than 30 years of executive level experience in managed care and behavioral health. Most recently, she was Vice President, Sales and Marketing for Pacificare Behavioral Health, where she oversaw sales, marketing, account management, and program innovation and achieved more than $100 million in incremental revenue in less than three years in the role. Previous positions include Senior Vice President of Distribution, Marketing, and Accounting Services at Cigna Behavioral Health and Executive Vice President of Marketing and Account Services for United Behavioral Health. Ann has an MBA from Pepperdine University and a BA from Ithaca College.
- Sarah Murphy, Vice President of Consumer Development
- Sarah has 20+ years of Marketing, Strategy and Product Management in the Entertainment, Telecommunications and Education industries. Most recently, she was Vice President, Customer Acquisition at Alta Colleges, where she led the Go-to-Market Strategy, including all aspects of Internet marketing for the campus and online divisions. In her first year at Alta, she drove the best student acquisition results in company history. Prior to this she was the Executive Director, Consumer Marketing at Qwest Communications. While at Qwest Sarah held multiple executive roles, including leading wireless retention, launching marketing for a high-speed Internet/web hosting start-up division, and leading a mature $3B product management organization. Sarah has an MBA and a BA in Advertising and Marketing from the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota.
The mental wellness resources in the myStrength portal have been created under the guidance of our clinical
advisory board—a dedicated group of practicing clinicians and medical health professionals.
- Tom Barrett, PhD
- Currently a Clinical Professor in the Graduate School of Professional Psychology at the University of Denver, Tom is a former Senior Medical Officer for the Mental Health and Substance Abuse Department in the World Health Organization and the Mental Health Director for the State of Colorado. Tom has an MA and PhD from West Virginia University.
- Charles G. Curie
- Charles G. Curie is the principal and founder of THE CURIE GROUP, LLC, a management and consulting firm working with leaders in the healthcare field, particularly mental health (MH) and substance use (SU). Curie was nominated by the President Bush and confirmed by the U.S. Senate to head SAMHSA from 2001 to 2006. Curie holds a Master of Arts degree from the University of Chicago’s School of Social Service Administration and is certified by the Academy of Certified Social Workers (ACSW).
- Abigail Hirsch, PhD
- Abigail is President of Power of Two, an innovative and interactive online relationship coaching and counseling Internet site, the co-author of the Power of Two Workbook, and a practicing clinician. She has an MA in Educational Psychology from the University of Colorado and a PhD in Clinical Psychology from the University of Massachusetts.
- Stephen W. Mayberg, PhD
- A nationally recognized expert on public mental health systems, Steve served as Director of the California Department of Mental Health for 18 years. During that time, he worked to advocate and implement major mental health system reform based on programmatic research and program outcomes and accountability. In 2002, Steve was appointed to the President’s New Freedom Commission on Mental Health. Throughout his career, he has continued to provide clinical services. Steve received his undergraduate degree from Yale University and his doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the University of Minnesota.
- Glenn Most, Psy.D
- Director of Behavioral Health Services at Exempla West Pines Behavioral Health Hospital, Glenn has been a prominent advocate for mental well-being, recently serving on the Mental Health America/Denver Metro Crisis Services Advisory Committee. Glenn has his MA in Psychology from New York University and Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the University of Denver.
- Jill Pechacek, MD
- Co-founder of Aspen Family Care Center and Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians, Jill was featured in 5280 magazine in 2006 and received the “Top Doc” Award for family physicians in Denver. Jill received her medical degree from the University of Iowa.
Trusted, relevant content is critical to the myStrength experience. That’s why we’ve selected our content partners very carefully. They include noted authors and recognized print and online publishers that provide best-selling,
clinically based resources.
The largest publisher of clinically based self-help workbooks, New Harbinger has delivered psychology, health, and personal growth books grounded in the latest scientific research and empirically validated clinical practice for the past 35 years. As the publisher’s exclusive online partner, myStrength transforms New Harbinger’s acclaimed, best-selling depression and anxiety workbooks into interactive and engaging online self-help modules.
myStrength also partners with StayWell, the largest consumer health information publisher with clinically reviewed content in nutrition, health and wellness, and stress management. A selection of StayWell’s articles, videos, podcasts, and more are hand-picked for our members every day, and delivered to their personal pages.
HarperCollins Publishers is one of the world’s leading English-language publishers and is also one of the primary providers of myStrength’s spiritual and religious content, including non-denominational inspiration and faith-specific devotionals. Members tell us their content preferences, and then draw daily from non-denominational inspiration or faith-based devotionals based in their beliefs to help foster a strong mind, body, and spirit.
Technology and eLearning partners
A highly engaging and personal online experience is an essential component of the myStrength site. We purposely selected leading technology and eLearning development partners to deliver an innovative and unique online experience.
A leading software developer specializing in engaging eLearning and online consumer applications, TechEmpower works with emerging growth and Fortune 500 firms including Pacificare, Universal Music, eHarmony, Microsoft, and Hewlett Packard. In partnership with TechEmpower, we’ve created an online platform that is highly intuitive, scalable, and personalized.
User experience design specialist Industrial Wisdom has designed intuitive, interactive software applications for clients such as Microsoft, Qwest Communications, GlaxoSmithKline, McNeil Consumer Health (Johnson & Johnson), and Crocs since 2001. Industrial Wisdom leads the design of all interactive applications for myStrength.
A recognized global leader in eLearning design and development with offices in the U.S., U.K., China, Sweden, and New Zealand, Kineo applies its expertise in contemporary adult learning and online content design to transform acclaimed, best-selling, self-help resources into our engaging, interactive, and personalized eLearning modules.